This video is a conversation between Marcy and Jenny about using the Bible as a tool and how to set up a daily quiet time practice. It will give you some ideas as well as introduce what we will be talking more about tonight. At the end of the post, there is a link to the Zoom call we will use tonight to have our group discussion as well as some instructions for using Zoom!
- What is your relationship with the Bible?
- Do you feel comfortable using it as a tool?
- Do you have a quiet time routine? If so, what does it look like? If not, what is one step you would like to take to start one?
We are using the Gospel of John to pair with our Functional Faith study. Today, we are going to consider the “I Am” sayings of Jesus. In John’s Gospel, Jesus uses the phrase “I Am” seven times – each time to proclaim that He is God (like when God says “I Am who I Am” to Moses from the burning bush) and to reveal part of His character.
There are two specific “I Am” phrases we are going to look at tonight as we think about what it means to be in daily communion with Christ. We will talk about them more tonight, but here are some questions to get us started.
“I am the bread of life.” – John 6:35
- Let’s take a moment to consider the role of bread in God’s relationship with the Israelites. In the Passover, God gave specific instructions about making bread. Do you remember what it was?
- Once the Israelites left Egypt and were in the wilderness, God gave them bread called manna. What do you think this has to do with Jesus?
- Now, let’s tie this idea of Jesus being the bread of life back to our daily faith practices like quiet time and prayer. Is there a line in the Lord’s Prayer that has to do with bread?
- Why do you think it is significant that this model prayer teaches us to ask for daily bread?
- How can we use bread as a reminder or touchstone for us in our lives and faith?
“I am the the light of the world.” – John 8:12
- What do you think light symbolizes in Christian faith?
- Can you think of any other pieces of scripture that talk about light?
- Have you ever experienced spiritual light? What about spiritual darkness?
- How is your faith community a light to you? To your community? To the world?
- We are in a challenging time, there is no doubt about that. But we have an opportunity to trust that Jesus is light in a new and fresh way. What might this perspective shift mean for you?
Accessing Digital NightLife Meeting
You can use a computer, tablet, or phone to access our NightLife Zoom call. It will work best on a computer! If you use a computer, just click the link to the call below. If you are using a tablet or phone, download the Zoom app before logging in. Head to this link to learn how to access with a mobile device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO206_NezaY
NightLife Zoom call link: https://zoom.us/j/838264123